Strategy Director J&J
at J. Walter Thompson New York
We are looking for a versatile Strategy Director to work across WPP's dedicated J&J Unit, The Neighborhood. It's a fantastic opportunity for a Strategy Director to lead a portfolio of four high profile, well known CPG brands. The Strategy Director will spearhead strategic and creative development of the portfolio and interface with digital/social/media strategists to ensure the work is consistently and powerfully driving business.The Strategy Director must be a proven strategic leader who can provide client leadership, steward the development of ideas, know when to push and know when to ask for help.
Our Strategy Director is a problem solver at heart - someone who wants to dig into data and marry business strategy and consumer insights to drive powerful client solutions. The Strategy Director is an expert at directing cross functional teams to leverage intelligence insights to tell impactful stories from the earliest research stage through creative development, communication planning and campaign evaluation. At the core of this role is the ability to glean and share human insights, a voracious curiosity, a collaborative nature and the ability to inspire strong, impactful communications.
A Day in the Life:
- Orchestrate brand planning, strategic planning and analytical activity in concert with the creative and account management teams to establish disruptive ideas
- Report on the macro and micro forces that shift strategic direction of the businesses
- Truly collaborate with groups of clients, account managers and creative in the development of inspiring creative briefs that translate insights into innovative and strategic campaign strategies
- Develop and implement powerful primary qualitative and quantitative research designs to uncover relevant social and cultural intelligence that address client business issues and gain deep insights into target audiences’ attitudes and behaviors
- Leverage and expand existing knowledge of the digital media industry including developing innovations in mobile, social, and emerging media
- Understand and define cultural, technological and social trends and their impact on consumer attitudes, behavior and perceptions
- Apply research intelligence in the formation, testing, and delivery of ad concepts and strategies to ensure they align with client and agency goals and objectives
- Maintain a working understanding of opportunities, research methodologies and intelligence analysis to constantly improve the quality of thinking applied to our client business
- Utilize the standardized planning tools to foster consistency over time and across projects
- Encourage proactivity, creativity and collaboration between the planning and creative teams to ensure the sharing of work and innovative thinking
What You’ll Need:
- Let’s start with a Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) and 7+ years in advertising.
- Ability to understand:
- strategic needs of our clients and deliver resources to meet not only advertising needs, but overarching business goals
- and effectively communicate value proposition, technology, processes, and partnerships
- social media and digital category-specific landscapes and trends
- The ability to think on your feet and an eagerness to explore all available resources to think outside the box
- make decisions and resolve problems quickly and effectively
- Zealous passion for rolling up your sleeves to bring ideas to life with cross-functional teams
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills; you will be face-to-face with various departments at their busiest moments
- Tact, diplomacy, maturity in relating and interacting with people at all levels
- Strong familiarity and comfort with the digital environment/media analytics and aligning strategies with business needs across all channels
- An expertise in data sources, qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and a keen eye of when and how to apply them to client challenges
- The ability to thrive in an environment that values innovation and collaboration with a global network
- A self-starter approach and true sense of ownership regarding work at each point of delivery
- Technically proficient in presentation planning and development
- Strong organizational skills to effectively manage smooth flow of work through agency.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.