Government Contracts Director
at J. Walter Thompson Atlanta
At J. Walter Thompson we create pioneering solutions that build enduring brands and business. We have been connecting brands with consumers and creating engaging stories that shift behavior for over 150 years. We currently have over 200 offices in 90 countries that contain 10,000 of the brightest minds in the business. We owe our growing success to the adoption of a set of simple principles we refer to as the 4 C's: curiosity, collaboration, creativity and courage. It is the embodiment of these traits that makes J. Walter Thompson unique. It is also what we look for in potential new hires.
J. Walter Thompson is seeking a Government Contracts Director to oversee and manage J. Walter Thompson government clients’ contracts. This person will take an active role with leadership, corporate legal, client business directors, intra-agency partners and client finance lead to support DoD contract management.
- Strategize, coordinate and implement policies and procedures throughout the appropriate team(s) that ensures Federal Government/DoD contract compliance
- Lead, manage, and coordinate finance and necessary agency personnel to support tasks associated with bidding, procuring, negotiating, managing, and sustaining government contracts
- Meet and effectively communicate with appropriate client teams, finance, project management and leadership to review reports and provide clear analysis and recommendations to drive compliance, performance
- Identify gaps that could affect compliance and other risks based on contract requirements, company policies, procedures, systems, and practices.
- Escalate to senior leadership where necessary and work with CFO and Director, Client Finance to engage Outside Counsel as needed
- Develop strong relationships with internal J. Walter Thompson teams, RCO, and client contacts
- Drive and Document processes where necessary around contract compliance
- Ensure Representations, Certifications, and Pre-Award activities are performed per contract requirements
- Manage and monitor both prime and subcontractor performance on the account (USMC IDIQ Contract and key subcontract management and tracking)
- Ensure Internal controls and training around contract compliance (Code of Ethics, Procurement Integrity Act, False Claims, Mandatory disclosure rule…)
- Ensure we are following the financial processes and procedures in line with our Disclosure statement and contract type
- Lead and develop annual negotiations strategy with Contracting
- Preparation of bids, proposals, modifications, and other contract submission
- Analyzes new law, regulation and contract trends for potential impact on business unit goals and objectives.
- Provides authoritative guidance to internal business teams and contract subordinates on corporate goals and objectives relating to contract activity
- Serve as POC and SME of Government contracting for J. Walter Thompson agencies
- A minimum of 5 - 10 years experience
- Solid knowledge and command of federal contracting processes and procedures (FAR) and federal regulatory compliance activities and procedures, particularly those that govern DoD contracts
- Strong analytical, thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to research, strategize and articulate coherent, fact-based positions that support the agency’s objectives in negotiating and managing government contracts
- Demonstrate a confident, assertive and fact-based approach to negotiating with contracting officers
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to influence across organization to drive compliance activities
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Sensitive to deadlines, highly organized and able to prioritize heavy workload. Responsive and client-focused. Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.